EXPERIENCE CINEMA ON THE PARK
This FREE Korean film night is held at the Korean Cultural Office in Sydney. Each week look out for exciting cultural activities, try new and tasty Korean snacks, listen to introductions by film experts, and jump into the world of Hallyu in our photobooth! Share your experiences on our Facebook and you could win Korean DVDs, latest K-pop albums, books and more!
Like us at facebook.com/cinemaonthepark
Booking your seat or cushion in advance means you secure your snack and drink coupon, and avoid missing out due to popular sessions filling up. Bring a friend and enjoy a great night out! To book call (02) 8267-3477 or BOOK ONLINE HERE
* Bookings open 2 weeks prior to the screening date.
* Bookings of more than 4 should call to confirm seat availability.
Screenings take place Thursday evenings at the Arirang Hall of the Korean Cultural Office, 255 Elizabeth Street, Sydney. The closest train stations to the venue are Museum station and Town Hall station. All films feature English subtitles. Program Curator: Kieran Tully
6:00pm Doors open
6:00pm-6:30pm Snack Bar
6:30pm Film screening
* Please note, entry is not permitted after 7:00pm
* All films are Unclassified 18+ unless otherwise stated. This does not necessarily reflect the content of the films, but is in accordance with the Classification Boards film festival exemption policy.
For all enquiries please contact email@example.com
Download the program guide or pick up a copy from our office today!
Themes and Film Information
Explore love and laughs through the latest Korean romantic melodramas and comedies! Opening the year will be the surprise film of 2013 that has gone on to capture many audiences and critics hearts alike, the bright and punchy How to Use Guys with Secret Tips. A perfect entry point to discovering what Korean cinema is all about, with enough megastars, secret kisses and quirkyness to get you coming back for more!
- Feb 13th How to Use Guys with Secret Tips 남자 사용설명서 (2013) Australian premiere
- Feb 20th Love on Air 원더풀 라디오 (2012) Australian premiere
- Feb 27th Always 오직 그대만 (2011) Australian premiere
- Mar 6th PLEASE NOTE NO SCREENING
A THRILL A MINUTE
Crime thrillers that pack a punch and heist hits with a comedic twist as we present both the dark alleys and light-hearted romps of Korean cinema. The crime thriller is a genre that the Korean industry has become widely known for today, and this is your chance to observe a variety of films that play with the conventions of that genre. But first make sure to strap in!
- Mar 13th Montage 몽타주 (2013) Australian premiere
- Mar 20th A Company Man 회사원 (2012) Australian premiere
- Mar 27th Running Turtle 거북이 달린다 (2009) Australian premiere
- Apr 3rd Twilight Gangsters 육혈포강도단 (2010) Australian premiere
Extraordinary tales of everyday families that focus on Korean communities both locally and internationally. Features stories from Korean-American filmmakers Kim So-yong (Treeless Mountain) and Christine Yoo (Wedding Palace), Korean-Canadian documentarian Emmanuel Moonchil Park (My Place), and a former graduate of the Australian Film, Television and Radio School, Jeong Yoon-cheol (Marathon). The films ask us questions of family and identity in this multicultural and multinational society.
- Apr 10th Treeless Mountain 나무없는 산 (2008)
- Apr 17th Marathon 말아톤 (2005)
- Apr 24th Wedding Palace (2013) Australian premiere
- May 1st My Place 마이 플레이스 (2013) Australian premiere
Romance flicks with a twist in a program highlighting emerging indie filmmakers and an expert at the trade, Hong Sang-soo. These films include comedy and romance, but are not your traditional rom-com with characters that have true emotions, relationships that are complex and storylines with non-linear structures.
- May 8th Sunshine Love 썬샤인 러브 (2013) Australian premiere
- May 15th Romance Joe 로맨스 조 (2012) Australian premiere
- May 22nd Nobody’s Daughter Haewon 누구의 딸도 아닌 해원 (2013)
- May 29th Dear Dolphin 환상속의 그대 (2013) Australian premiere
IN FOCUS: KIM KI-DUK
A retrospective on Korea’s most internationally successful and yet controversial director, Kim Ki-duk. Kim's films are known for their limited dialogue, harsh content and beautiful scenary, rewarding those that wish to be taken on a cinematic ride like no other.
- Jun 5th Address Unknown 수취인불명 (2001)
- Jun 12th Bad Guy 나쁜 남자 (2002)
- Jun 19th Samaritan Girl 사마리아 (2004)
- Jun 26th Pieta 피에타 (2012)
IN FOCUS: PARK CHAN-WOOK
A Visionary force of modern Korean cinema, Park Chan-wook has become a worldwide household name, a symbol of modern Korean cinema. This is your chance to explore the Vengeance trilogy all over again, including THAT film that has brought so many to discover Korean cinema, Oldboy. A month long program on director Park is a cinematic feast for cult film fans!
- Jul 3rd Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance 복수는 나의 것 (2002)
- Jul 10th Oldboy 올드보이 (2003)
- Jul 17th Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 친절한 금자씨 (2005)
- Jul 24th Thirst 박쥐 (2009)
IN FOCUS: MODERN KOREAN CINEMA
Be a fly on the wall of the Korean film industry! Ever dreamt of having dinner with Park Chan-wook or Bong Joon-ho? Now is your chance! Offering unprecedented access to personal interviews with hundreds of leading directors and stars, this is a must watch documentary for Korean film fans!
- Jul 31st Ari Ari the Korean Cinema 영화판 (2012) Australian premiere
5TH KOFFIA KOREAN FILM FESTIVAL
Cinema on the Park will take a break from its regular screenings in August, as our big brother is in town! That's right once again the annual KOFFIA Korean FIlm Festival will take place throughout August at Event Cinemas George St. So make sure to get your ticket to the hottest films in town, direct from Korea. Visit www.koffia.com.au for more information about the festival.
- August PLEASE NOTE NO SCREENINGS IN AUGUST DUE TO THE KOREAN FILM FESTIVAL
A PERIOD TALE
Swords, shields, goons and gowns open the 2nd half of the year COTP program, as we take a look into Korea's own Game of Thrones, with epic battles of the past that will leave you bloodied and bruised! Only for the Bravehearted!
- Sep 4th War of the Arrows 최종병기 활 (2011)
- Sep 11th Musa the Warrior 무사 (2001)
- Sep 18th Shadowless Sword 무영검 (2005)
CRIME DOESN'T PAY
A life of crime can be an alluring one, the money, the power, the respect. Follow those that rise to the top of a crime affiliation, those that fall into its pitfalls, and those that manage to break free from its grasp and start a new life. Observe the affect that ones choices can make on an individuals family, friends, relationships and ultimately one's life.
- Sep 25th A Dirty Carnival 비열한 거리 (2006)
- Oct 2nd Hanaan 하나안 (2012) Australian premiere
- Oct 9th NO SCREENING DUE TO KOREAN PUBLIC HOLIDAY
- Oct 16th The Contact 접속 (1997)
- Oct 23rd Failan 파이란 (2001)
A night of fright will take place in our annual COTP Halloween Showcase! Not one but two feature films will screen in an extra spooky session long in to the night! The COTP Halloween party, haunted house and Best Dressed competition will be something not to miss! So do you dare book for a night of scares???
- Oct 30th To be announced
SOUNDS ON SCREEN
Just as the visual medium of film can move us and bring us together as a community, music is a powerful driving force determining who we are as inidividuals and as a culture. Follow those on screen figures who share their passion for music, from the cutting edge busking grounds of Hongdae, to multicultural programs in modern Korean schools. This program will have you moving to the beat!
- Nov 6th Dangerously Excited 나는 공무원이다 (2012) Australian premiere
- Nov 13th Acoustic 어쿠스틱 (2010) Australian premiere
- Nov 20th Waikiki Brothers 와이키키 브라더스 (2001)
- Nov 27th Hello? Orchestra 안녕?! 오케스트라 (2013) Australian premiere
Korean pop culture has spread worldwide through the popularity of Korean melodramas. We take a look at the best modern melodramatic films that push drama to the limit! You will laugh, love, shriek and cry as we close the year with powerful films full of emotion that only Korean cinema can present! Join us for our Dec 18th screening and take part in the fun and games of the annual COTP Christmas Carnival!
- Dec 4th December 디셈버 (2013) Australian premiere
- Dec 11th Two Weddings and a Funeral 두 번의 결혼식과 한 번의 장례식 (2012)
- Dec 18th A Werewolf Boy 늑대소년 (2013)
Welcome to Cinema on the Park
Choose from a comfy cushion or chair
Try a new snack each week
Pick up your complimentary drink
Enjoy modern Korean cinema
Take part in cultural activities
Make new friends!
Have fun in our Photobooth!
Listen to expert Introductions
Lots and lots of prizes to be won!
Rate the films
See you next time